Our version of the favorite Scottish dish uses easy, lean ground beef but creates the same full, hearty flavor of the original recipes.
Total Time: 1 hours 15 mins Hands-on Time: 30 mins Makes: 4 servings
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Parsley Flakes
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Fennel Seed
1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
12 ounces white or yellow potatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons arrowroot, tapioca starch or tapioca flour
1 cup beef broth
1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
1 ounce shredded white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut the potatoes into 1/8” thick slices. Boil in water for 4-6 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook for another 5 minutes, breaking up the large pieces with a wooden spoon.
4. Season the beef with thyme, parsley, fennel seed, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
5. Dissolve arrowroot into broth, pour into the pan and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the diced tomatoes and Greek yogurt.
6. Transfer the meat mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange the sliced potatoes on top in an overlapping pattern. Top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.