Updated: Nov 16, 2018
Organic cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves make for a mouthwatering classic dessert.
Total Time: 1 hours 55 mins Hands-on Time: 10 mins Makes: 8 servings
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cardamom.
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cloves Ground
1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Organic Cane Sugar
15 ounces (1 3/4 cups) pumpkin purée
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
8 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 (8-inch) unbaked pie crust, recipe below
1/4 cup ice water
Freshly whipped cream, for topping
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
FOR THE PIE FILLING
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine spices, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir in eggs, then spice mixture. Stir in cream.
3. Pour into 8-inch pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until center is set, about 90 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
4. Serve topped with whipped cream.
FOR THE BASIC BUTTER PIE CRUST
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the water (without the ice!) a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
2. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. When you remove from refrigerator, allow at least 20 minutes for the dough to return to room temperature before using.
3. Roll dough out to fit an 8-inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Crimp or pinch edges as desired.
Use leftover pie crust dough to make leaf-shaped decorations for the top of the baked pie. Simply bake until lightly browned, then place on top of your cooled pie.
In this Recipe: